Raising the Bar
Heart Hospital of Lafayette is a one-of-a-kind Louisiana heart specialty hospital committed to "raising the bar" for cardiac care in Acadiana and beyond. Since opening our doors in 2004, we have humbly received numerous awards and national accreditations, including a rating by Thompson Reuters as one of the Nation's Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals. Our approach to patient-focused care includes the universal bed concept, 24/7 visitation, one of the best nurse-patient ratios in the country, and a CVStat® program that extends cardiac care to rural communities.
Awards and Accreditations
Heart Hospital of Lafayette has been accredited as a Chest Pain Center by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care since 2005 and is also accredited by The Joint Commission for Hospital and Clinical Laboratory Standards. Over the years, HHL has received numerous national awards and recognition for quality patient care and patient satisfaction, including:
- 2012 Care Chex National Hospital Quality Study placed Heart Hospital of Lafayette #1 in Louisiana in Overall Medical Care, Overall Surgical Care, Overall Hospital Care, Interventional Coronary Care, Vascular Surgical Care and Major Cardiac Surgery
- 2012 National Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospital presented by Thomson Reuters
- 2009 National Top 100 Cardiovascular Hospital presented by Thomson Reuters
- 2010-2013 Number One in the Nation for Patient Satisfaction Scores & Top Performer in the Nation as rated by NRC Picker for Specialty Hospitals.
- 2008-2011 Heart & Stroke Champion Award presented by the American Heart/Stroke Association
- 2012 Gold Heart Failure Award presented by American Heart Association
- 2009 Silver Heart Failure Award presented by American Heart Association
- Recipient of multiple Cap Stone Awards from eQHealth Solutions for achievements in quality of patient care related to clinical care measures and patient satisfaction
- Awarded NRC Path to Excellence Award by National Research based on achievement within categories identified by patients as being most important to the quality of their care
- Recognized by American Heart Association "Get with Guidelines" program for providing nationally recognized standards of care to cardiac patients.
Heart Hospital of Lafayette recognizes that a warm, inviting and stress-free environment promotes better patient outcomes and faster healing. How do we create that environment? By focusing on you—the patient.
In a typical hospital, each patient may come in contact with 60 or more caregivers before returning home. At Heart Hospital of Lafayette, you are assigned a team of caregivers, made up of six to eight clinicians, for the duration of your stay. Our care model is based on the universal bed concept, which means you are given a private room equipped to meet your specific needs at the beginning of your stay, and that room is yours throughout your stay, even after surgery.
Family members are allowed 24-hour access to your room whenever possible, and a sleeper bed is incorporated into every room to accommodate an overnight visitor. Nursing pods are located near each patient room and our nurse-to-patient ratio is one of the best in the country. This means someone is always nearby when you need help. In addition, we've designed Heart Hospital of Lafayette with a simple, easy to navigate floor plan, allowing family members and visitors to find their way around the hospital with confidence.
This is our approach to patient-focused care, and we have seen the benefits of this concept in action. Beyond state-of-the-art equipment and procedures to keep your heart healthy, Heart Hospital of Lafayette offers the very best care available, close to home. That's why we are your heart hospital.
Universal Bed Concept
Part of Heart Hospital of Lafayette's commitment to patient-focused care is the universal bed concept, proven to produce better outcomes and higher levels of patient satisfaction. The universal bed concept means that each patient room is specially equipped to meet the needs of heart and vascular patients, and that care can be provided without the need for transport.
In a universal bed environment, diagnostic services can take place at the bedside, eliminating the need to transfer patients to different units throughout their stay. This reduces stress and increases the efficiency of care. It also means that the room you are admitted to will most likely be your room throughout your stay. Heart Hospital of Lafayette believes that providing a calm, worry-free hospital experience is key to health and healing, and the universal bed concept is a key component of our philosophy of care.
Heart Hospital of Lafayette maintains a nurse-patient ratio of between 1:1 and 1:4, one of the best in the country. In addition to a highly trained and dedicated nursing staff, we have designed our facility to include multiple nurse stations located near patient rooms around the floor. This means help is nearby when you need it.
As part of our patient-focused approach to care, we assign a team of 6-8 clinicians to you for the duration of your stay, from admission to discharge. This promotes understanding, bonding and continuity of care, leading to faster healing and better patient outcomes. In addition, a Concierge is available to assist in making the hospital stay as convenient and comfortable as possible for family members. Our patient care plans, innovative procedures, state-of-the-art technology and outstanding clinical staff help us to achieve excellent patient satisfaction.
In 2007, Heart Hospital of Lafayette partnered with Our Lady of Lourdes Regional Medical Center to create a unique model of focused cardiovascular care using best practice technology and trusted physician partners on two campuses, Our Lady of Lourdes and Heart Hospital of Lafayette.
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, CV STAT® is an emergency referral and transfer system for cardiac patients who require a higher level of cardiac care. This one-call system uses proven streamlined processes to deliver a higher level of cardiac care to the patients of outlying communities and surrounding parishes in Acadiana. For more information about CV STAT®, call (337) 470-1205
Heart Hospital of Lafayette believes that the best way to promote healing is to provide the patient with clinically excellent and emotionally responsive care. Our patient-focused environment gives caregivers more face-to-face time with patients while encouraging family members to be part of the healing process. Our 24/7 visitation policy offers family members 24-hour access to patients, and sleeper beds are incorporated into every room to accommodate an overnight guest. This is yet another aspect of our commitment to providing the best in cardiac care to our patients and their families.
Weekend Cardiovascular Intensivist
Heart Hospital of Lafayette developed this program to increase our level of care on the weekends. A Cardiovascular Intensivist is available on campus every Friday from 12 noon to 7 p.m. and on Saturdays and Sundays from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Outside of these hours, on-call coverage is provided for our patients.
While we focus on cardiovascular care, Heart Hospital of Lafayette's capabilities extend to provide a full range of specialty clinical care for our patients.
Our medical facility features:
- 32 inpatient beds with critical care capability
- 3 state-of-the-art Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories
- Dual operating suites designed to meet the needs of many surgical specialties
- 11 outpatient beds
- A full-service, 24/7, 5-bed Emergency Cardiac Services Department specially designed, equipped and staffed for heart and vascular emergencies and also available for nearly all emergency situations
- Full service diagnostic cardiac imaging facilities, including fast CT (64-slice CT angiography), nuclear medicine, echo cardiography/sonography, treadmill stress testing and comprehensive radiological technology
- Full-service medical laboratory
- Digital pharmaceutical services using the latest procedures to ensure patient safety through accurate, fast dispensing of medications
- Coumadin Clinic
- Cardiac Rehabilitation facility